Knowing that I wasn't going to have a finished patio didn't deter my working on it though - just slowed the process to a snails pace. Saturday I worked on the patio most of the day, in the rain, by myself. Scott worked late that night, and after laying only about 80 sq. feet of brick, I called it quits. I was soaking wet, and a little aggrevated at the earlier problems I'd had with the pattern. I started working in the herringbone pattern we'd discussed, but there was something terribly off about that grid and the different sized brick. (The price you pay for 60 year old, reclaimed stock.) So, I had to come up with an alternative layout for the patio, one that would work well with the brick I had, and eliminate the need for cutting or chipping the brick, or worse - having huge gaps in the pattern.
Enter the idea of a basket weave. Above is an example of a traditional English basket weave. It's very beautiful, no? The brick is obviously made to look a little old with it's man-made nicks and scars atop the brick, but having laid actual vintage brick - I know that the lines here are much too square and uniform to be brick cut years and years ago.
Now, I have to admit that I tried a few other patterns, but the basket weave worked the best. In laying it though I thought it looked a little too "something". (You know when you can't find the word - it's on the tip of your tongue, but yet it's still missing and all you can come up with is "something" - well, that's what this was!)
Now, the weather is finally cooperating with me, and I have a couple of sunny and warm days ahead. There is much on my to-do list, as my house is being photographed for the "Home of the Month" feature of the Buffalo News on Tuesday, yes - TOMORROW. So please, look forward to my slew of photos on my Tablescape Thursday post. Til' then - peace!