Monday, January 28, 2019

Bedroom Changes ...

Remember when my bedroom looked like this?


This was the first apartment I had where I really put any effort into the bedroom space. I found those little side tables on craigslist (wish I still had them, actually) and the suzani hung behind the bed on clip curtain rings. It was pretty.

Then I moved.


I had always wanted a canopy bed, so when I saw a canopy bed online for SO cheap I jumped at the chance to buy it. Turns out, it was UGLY! Not only ugly, the posts were only 6' high, so the canopy portion felt like a coffin lid. Eh, mistakes are gonna be made, right? I lived with it for a while

Then I did this:


Which honestly, by far, was the best of the three versions. Everyone loved this space, including me. And while it was not easy lining up all those stripes, it was well worth it in the end. Many people asked me why I was changing this room, and it really had to do with the move I thought I was making to Florida. When I sold most all of my art and furniture to prepare for the move, I let go of so many of the really wonderful things that made this space unique and interesting. After they were gone, walking into the room felt a little sad. And once I started dating Tyler and the decision to stay put was made, I started redecorating with a little color, and this brown and white look was simply out of place.

So, changes:


It all started with a deal on fabric (kind of like the striped walls did). I found an incredible deal on this Laura and Kiran fabric and bought 23 yards of it. Once it arrived, I realized that it was really more of a curtain weight than an upholstery weight, so I was going to have my workroom make new curtains for me. Then I went in another direction with it, and I have to say - it's pretty beautiful. Unfortunately, it is also a MASSIVE job! I set out with the goal of finishing the entire room in one day, but found that it took a weekend to do just one wall. Still, it's coming together beautifully one staple at a time, don't you think?

Today, I'm gonna spend a little time finding things I need to finish up the design once the fabric and painting is all done:



I plan on hanging blue and white chinoiserie plates on the wall, and I have been told that these are absolutely the BEST thing you can buy to make that happen. Certainly I can see the appeal, those wire plate hangers do terrible things to old plates (chipping, scratching) and these are really inexpensive and hold a lot of weight. So, if you're looking to accomplish a similar look - let's see how these work? If you already use them, I'd LOVE to hear what you think of them! 


I'm also looking for lights for behind the bed. How cool are these little buggers? I love the finish and they have a pagoda like shape to them which I think will tie into the room beautifully! The other option is to go with something with a shade, which I'm also not opposed to. Particularly if I can swing custom gathered shades. 


Tyler is a fan of these. And I think they're pretty. I worry though about accidentally reaching up and breaking the glass (can you imagine? broken glass in your bed!?) But they're beautiful, and would look lovely in an application where that's not a concern.



They do offer the same look with a brass shade though. That might work! 


I've also thought of going with some thing with a painted finish, like these! Add a little whimsy and playfulness? They come in a variety of colors, including light blue ... which against those walls could be fun! 


They're actually quite beautiful, I think. And cheap! 


So many people are mixing modern lighting into traditional rooms now. These are so fun. I just don't know if I could see myself departing from my routine. I mean, let's get real people - you know I want to just put these up on the wall, spend WAY TOO MUCH on custom lampshades and call it a day: 


But being pulled from your comfort zone and taking risks sometimes makes for the best spaces. So, who knows. 

The whole space will likely take another month to finish. With winter here, I have no daylight hours to work on the project until the weekends, but it'll get done! Slowly, but surely! 

10 comments:

  1. Interior architecture... is it just an aesthetic preference or some kind of rules applied? I mean those panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added those panels Val, the apartment is pretty much a boring white box without them. Gives it a little more sophistication.

      Delete
    2. Great trick btw. Beautiful!

      Delete
  2. I have over 100 plates on my dining room wall. They’ve been there for about 8 years. I’ve used the flatirons discs on most of them. So I can highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary! I'm excited to use them! Of course, I'll need to find more plates to pull together my vision - fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Can hardly wait, great sneak peek. The green fabric is gorgeous... I've been craving color lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! And thank you! :) I wonder how long I'll love it though? I guess the good news is that with there being so much green, it almost turns neutral. The blues and ikats I have planned will be the real visual color. Fingers crossed it all works out the way I have it working in my head! LOL!

      Delete
  4. The discs are wonderful and do protect old plates as well as silver trays. It is important to follow directions exactly. I always test over a bed or something soft by putting the hook on my finger before hanging on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see this! You are so frickin' talented!

    ReplyDelete