Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Even More Inspiration

I might just have to rename the blog: Pergola's Plus with all of the pergola pictures I've been posting lately. I hope you all don't mind viewing the beauty of these inspiration structures, as I mull over the many choices I have to make before starting the building process of my own.

The ground here is getting softer, as the rains move in and the temperatures rise, but the forecast still warns of snows and single digit temperatures before the end of the week. Lovely. It will be a month or more before I can really get out there are start the laying of the brick - but once that weather leaves a window of opportunity for this to begin, I'll drown you all in photos of the process, and then photos of the "room" decorated. (I'm excited already!)


I know it will take years for the vines I plan on planting around the pergola to cover it completely, but once it does, what a wonderful feeling that will be? Surrounded by scent, and color, shape, and shade. Ah ... bliss.

The brick patio beneath the pergola will be a great floor for outdoor events and dining. Holding the heat from the day, and releasing it at night, I expect that the pergola will be a place of constant comfort, and hopefully a place where many glasses of wine will be shared among friends and neighbors.

Rich plantings around the pergola will hopefully (in a few years) make for a fanciful entry, complete with a water feature and tropical plantings, like Canna's and Banana Palms. Pssst! I started my Canna's last Wednesday.

The garden is a whimsical place, the sights and sounds of mother nature lead you into an ethereal dream land of positive thoughts and explorations. Where would be a better place to spend a Saturday evening with a good book, or a close friend than under the boughs of a pergola draped in ribbon like leaves and fragrant colorful flowers?

And another plus? The dining space. My home is wonderful, but the dining room doesn't allow for seating for more than 8, comfortably. The pergola, with it's 18x11 rectangular expanse, will be the perfect option for larger dinner parties, centered around the garden, with grilled delights and glasses of wine. I'm already planning the first event! Are you free?

I've spent a lot of time planning out the brick patterns, the pergola shape and size, and even the plantings for around the space. I've researched soil conditions for grapes and clematis, and the best paint for exteriors made from pressure treated wood. Having done my homework will hopefully make this an easy and enjoyable process.

And of course, the day will come, when it's all complete. The freshly painted pergola sturdily poised, atop a herringbone scrabble board of antique brick. And the time will come when furniture, curtains, accessories, and lighting will take over my imagination, and the "room" will come together.
As much as I've tried to keep from doing the decorating first, I have spotted a few things I know will be a great addition to the space ... and I'll share those soon. Until then, enjoy Pergola's Plus ...
And look forward to an interior decorating blog soon, featuring some interesting burlap curtains I know you'll all appreciate, made by yours truly!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Artie,

    Looks like you have been busy! I've sent you a few e-mails? Did you send my give-away prize?

    xoxo,
    Cathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mind at all. I collected pergola pictures before we built ours too. Seems like a pergola is just as much about the feeling as the look. You have to find the right design for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! Now I can't stand it. I have to get outside. Spring is here. These pergolas are just lovely. The lush vines are like icing on the cake. Great post. Thanks. Looking forward to the burlap curtains.
    -GSG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pergolas Plus, indeed! The ones you found are Goooooorgeous! I love seeing you so excited, and I cannot wait to see this project come together - you will have many years of magical dinners, lazy days just enjoying the scenery, a good read, a nap -- under your pergola to be!
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Artie, oh how I wish that Mother Nature would comply. As you and I share much the same weather, I can relate. (At this point 'n time as an option to speed up the arrival of Spring, I'm tempted to purchase a 'Snow-Be-Gone Flame Thrower' (Winks!)

    Looking forward to your Patio, Pergola and Garden project journey.
    Hugs -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying all of your Pergola research. Beautiful structures and gardens. What's not to enjoy!!

    Keep up the good work, Artie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Artie, which design are you leaning towards? I was taken in by the pitch of the "roof" of picture #3. I can't wait to see what you have in store....Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you would stop this damn teasing, Artie, and just get on with building it. Frozen ground? Tear right through it!

    I swear, I'm mighty tempted to buy some airline tickets to your neck of the woods for the unveiling dinner party I know you'll be having.

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm free...count me in! Can't wait to see the end result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love going on this mind travel with you. It's fun, and I like pergolas. Can't wait to see what you do.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, Artie, after seeing how grogeous your garden is I can't wait for my invitation to eat with you surrounded by all that beauty! I'm free anytime.

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminds me of the Pergola that did not get built last summer over our deck...sigh...

    Your choices are absolutely gorgeous.

    Have fun making yours.

    ReplyDelete