Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tickity Tockity, the fury of a Timeline

Once upon a time, in a modest bungalow perched steps from the gorge of the Niagara River, on a short street with a lovely median filled with flowers and lampposts, lived a design savvy young man on a mission to complete a bathroom renovation on a budget and on a timeline; neither of them realistic ...

Yep, same story, different place. What started as a repair of necessity has become a floor to ceiling remodel that encompasses many of our wants as well as the needs. What we hoped to bring in under budget and within the timeline we set, is teetering ever so closely to the brink of going over budget, and has already jumped the rail of that timeline train weeks ago! But we're nearing ever so closely to having a finished product we can be very proud of .

Today, the electrician was here to install the sconces on either side of the still MIA mirror, move the electric outlet to a place that's less obvious, and install switches to operate the lights - on the wall, in the ceiling, and the exhaust fan. If you live in an old house, chances are you've had your fair share of dark nights and some days in rooms that have no overhead fixture. Our second floor has two overhead fixtures, one in the hall, one in the master bedroom. The rest of the rooms are lit with sconces turned on and off at the fixture. We wanted to have overhead lighting in the bathroom, a much needed exhaust fan, and sconces - all operable by switches. Now that part of that is complete, it's like walking on air! It's the simple things that give us the most joy afterall, I suppose.

So what's left? Well, MORE wainscoting for one. Because the bulk of the electrical work needed to be done on the sink wall - I had to leave it free of finished woodwork until the boxes were installed. The sink and faucet need to be installed, our light fixtures are scheduled to leave the warehouse today, and the paint color still needs to be chosen! The floor could use another good cleaning before sealing the grout, and the baseboards have to be installed. Yes, it's a ball of fun here at Casa de la Vanderdogan, and it's a darn good thing our house isn't closer to the gorge of the Niagara River ... I might have jumped days ago!

It's always the last leg of any project that costs the most and takes the longest - so although it's no surprise - I'm counting the minutes til it's complete! Til' then - please, share your top colors for bathrooms! Do you have a great color you'll never change? I want to hear about it!

7 comments:

  1. White is always so clean, but I was in a wonderful shop this past weekend that had Benjamin Moore's Tea Light, a soft green that looks great with white. It's my choice for spring/summer projects in my home. Whatever you select will be the best! Can't wait to see it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artie, we once purchased an older house and realized AFTER moving in that not only was there no outlet AT ALL in the bathroom- there was no light! We had only ever been in the house during daylight hours (yeah, I know) The PO had put a set of sconces up "for show" but they weren't connected to anything. We never did figure out how they ever used that bathroom after dark
    Colors?? I've been loving pale, grayed down, silvery blues, greens, and shades of purple. Very light, but rich and elegant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be patient. It will soon be finished and will be FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like RL Tuxedo White,.... I know they are not carrying at HD but they can mix this in Behr. I also like moire gray PL, AND PL bone white.
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Vanisha plastered my bathroom. Although the color is out of my box I enjoy it so much. They have some very light and neutral colors as well. My wall feel like a piece of china, it's so smooth and soft, and the glow is beautiful.
    Good luck in what every your chose is, I'm sure it will be beautiful.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color SOUNDS divine! I absolutely cannot wait to see your final outcome from all this hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your writing style. Do you find these messages buried down below, I wonder? I gave up surfing the net for Lent (except Sundays) and yours was my second blog since I love your music while I surf. Anywho, I love BM Philadelphia Cream in my master bath with crema marfil tile. Redid it seven years ago, and if hubby gets back to work soon and I can come up with a budget, would love to take it to the next level, inspired by your many pics. Gorgeous. Thanks and don't jump!
    Carol in Chicago
    carols@wideopenwest.com

    ReplyDelete