Friday, July 9, 2010

More of Sarah's House for Less

As I found out when I posted: Sarah Richardson Meets Pottery Barn, almost TWO THOUSAND of you loved post! Don't you just love site meter? Anyway, it occurred to me that I had cataloged almost all of the rooms from Season 3's country house, and there are other places where you can get the Sarah look for less.

Now, I'll start off again by saying, I love Sarah Richardson. Her style, aesthetic, eye, and wonderful on-air personality have her riding well above any other television designer on my list. If she ever did work in the states, you could bet your bottom dollar I'd scrape and pinch til' I could hire her to do my kitchen, but I digress. Onto the meat of this post, shall we?


The master bedroom. Let me first start by saying how genius it was to railroad that exterior grade rough hewn siding all around the room as wainscot. Remember when she used this to do the ceiling of the carport in Season 2? Anyway, the minute she decided to use that in the room, I fell even more in love with the addition. Top that off with the four poster bed, and delicious colors and I was ready to move in. Anyone got $1.6 million you could loan me?

Now, because I know you watch the show - you aren't going to be surprised when I say that Sarah is the QUEEN of re upholstery. Oh, to have her source. But if you're looking for large floral or botanical graphic chairs like these on a budget that's not so custom-upholstery, check out these chairs from target:

Still with a great punchy pattern, and open leg, these chairs are more than $1,000 less than the version Sarah used once upholstered, and add similar graphic interest and texture to the room. Available in a myriad of fabrics, these armless slipper chairs can be found here.

If you must have an arm, why not try the slope or swoop arm chairs available for the same price at Target here and at Urban Outfitters here. Gorgeous, right? What's better - you can find so many fabrics to coordinate with these for pillows (like Sarah's) to add even more of an individual and high style look on much much less. One place I love lurking for custom made pillows from high-end designer fabric without the designer price tag is Elegant Touch on Etsy or at her website: http://www.elegantouch.net/. You can't beat the pricing or the quality.

Who wouldn't love the luxury of a fireplace in their space? Especially one clad with carrera and finished with a walnut mantle circa 1900? The point I want to make in my high-low comparison is the use of fun color and fabric. Fabric can cost you so little, and yet make such a high impact. Places like JoAnn's and Calico Corners are walk-in stores where you can see, feel, and compare ... but if you're open to online shopping for fabric, check out the fabrics at P. Tree Textiles. They've got some very similarly styled fabrics to designer options you'll pay more than $145/yrd. for, like this and this.

Of course, fabric shouldn't be used just on furniture or for pillows and bedding. It's simple to pick up lampshades like these, which Sarah purchased at Pottery Barn or make your own with fabric that fits your room!
I'm also absolutely, positively in love with Sarah's use of vintage and antique items this time around. Although her eye gravitates easily toward items with history, and character, Sarah seemed to use more antique and one-of-a-kind pieces in this house. My tip for antiques on the cheap: CRAIGSLIST! Often times, you'll find pieces with incredible history and character for pennies. You know what they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Now, depending on where you live - you're absolutely likely to find a piece like this 4-poster bed. But just in case you can't, look for Indonesian Furniture importers. Some of the best antique reproduction comes from there.
And of course, the quilt the room was designed around. If you're lucky, Grandma left you one of these. If you're not, take a look for them around your local antique co-ops. Usually, they're inexpensively priced and in good shape. For an online source, check out art-fire.com, they offer handmade quilts are very reasonable prices.
So think upon it ... and let me know what you think. I hope the sources, if you didn't already know about them, are helpful in your next decorating project. Now, I'm off to play in the garden. Goodness knows - it needs it! Pictures coming soon.

13 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are up to your elbows in dirt! Ha Ha, have a good evening Artie!
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sarah Richardson, too. Her show is one of my favorites. She has great taste.

    I love the Target and Urban Outfitters chairs. Great finds! Isn't it fun to look at designer rooms and recreate them for less?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love slipper chairs...perfect for the bedroom. Great post, Artie. I have to go back and catch the first one on Sarah!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas and sources Artie! I ALWAYS LOVE Sarah's make-overs. I think because they have a sense of history and look like they actually belong in the house she is working on. She's less abstract and more hands on in making the room fit into the history and era of the home. And...don't even get me started on Tommy....he always makes me smile with his quick wit...and his design sense fits right in with Sarah's. They compliment each other well! Can ya tell I'm a huge fan??? LOL
    I was shopping for fabric today myself. We don't have much warehouse fabrics shops around here any more. Love the place she shops for fabric.

    Talk to you soon and good luck with your Garden walk!
    **Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I'd come over and meet you and thank you for your wonderful comment today! Your blog is great-I'll be taking my time scrolling through it. I love those chairs-can't believe they're from Target. Also love Sarah!
    Have a good week end!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Artie! I like the way you think! Find a high end piece you love and then look for a similar less expensive version. This is the way I tend to decorate.
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post-I am a huge Sarah fan too. I wish I had found some of these images for the posts I recently did on the use of the colour Yellow and on wainscoting!

    Best wishes and Happy Weekend,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That wainscoting had me swooning and plotting to install said-same, stat! Target.com is an excellent source for high-end-LOOKing furniture for less, and lots of it! I recommend! TY for another Sarah post! Scrumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm so glad to meet you and find your wonderful blog! Thanks for visiting me. I'm glad you found some inspiration from my silly glass fish! I'm going to go back over all your old posts and I can tell I'm going to enjoy every minute. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Artie~I love how Sarah adds punches of bold colors and prints without leaving you feel overwhelmed.
    I always appreciate the references to achieving the same style without breaking the budget.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Artie, I've known you since RMS, so congratulations to ME and I wudn't hesitate to shout from the roof top "I am one of your biggest fans".

    Regarding Sarah's room, she received a lot of criticism about it however as I have a passion for fabrics I particularly loved the play of patterns and textures.

    Also THANK YOU so much for the links and for a super informative post. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I just love this house that Sarah did! I missed some episodes, but wow, did it turn out gorgeous. I was gonna blog on this too, but I think I let it slip on past. She does awesome work! Love all the fabrics & her use of vintage too.

    Great looking garden you put together, Artie!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing! Lots of thanks for this post. I think it is a very good post. It helps us many away. So many many thanks for this article. Homepage

    ReplyDelete