Friday, October 14, 2011

A CDLV Coffee Table Revamp

Our "new" coffee table.

I've been giving my house a finer, more critical eye lately - and although I wanted a glass table for the living room, the other table I had been using was too small, too tall, and too wrong. I have to be careful on what I spend on things, since Scott and I have big plans for travel in 2012 - more on that later.

Anyway, I knew I had this great cart that I scored for free when a friend of ours was liquidating a property he bought that happened to be filled with this sort of thing.


I had used it, as it was originally in the sunroom, and in the living room, before moving it to the basement. It's from the Cincinnati Railroad as per the small metal tag on the far end. I assume that it was a luggage cart used by the Rail attendants to wheel luggage to the luggage car.


After seeing this cart at the Restoration Hardware Outlet in Texas, and remembering that I had a piece of tempered glass from a table we unfortunately forgot to pack during our move, I couldn't wait to get home and start working on ours. And voila:


I love it? Don't you? Good news is, when I decide to put the planks back on, they came off pretty easily and can be replaced with just a few new nails! Have you rehabbed, or 'revamped' something in your house recently? I'd love to hear about it!

15 comments:

  1. Looks great, Artie. The piece of history is the charmer for me. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artie, it looks fan*freakin*tastic! What a difference a simple piece of glass makes. One question: How did you *forget* to pack a table?! I don't know why, I find that funny :-) Thanks for sharing
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've created a masterpiece, Artie, and for free! It has amazing charm and character. I absolutely LOVE it!
    ~ Wendi ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artie, The cart coffee table looks fabulous and unique. I think it is perfect for that spot. Congratulations on a job well done.
    Best...Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Artie that is a very special piece, you already know that though!!

    I love the bowl and other blue and white you have in accessories!

    Oh, I have a new Designer Pillows Giveaway I hope you will join!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever! And it is so fresh looking -- that sort of luggage cart look as the table was originally is not fresh anymore --

    But it is amazing and really look stood in your space.

    We have a glass table at Linderhof (our third coffee table I think) and it is perfect for it leaves the middle of the room open and airy! and even though it is big (which we prefer) it doesn't scream big because of the glass.

    I've not done that sort of rehab -- I have chairs reupholstered (but not too often) and that sort of thing but neither I nor Husband Jim is handy.

    I have, however, recreated LITTLE things I've found in magazines and books over the years -- especially if they were pricey little things!

    You did an amazing job with your coffee table and it's like a whole new piece -- and the good news is that you can change it back to it's original if you want (and if you move and don't leave the boards behind LOL!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect way to add a modern touch to an industrial piece. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that the glass is on top it makes it much more hip and modern. I would just hate to stub my toe on those wheels knowing me and my clumsyness that would def. happen!!!! Great job. Love the table it fits in with the rest of the decor perfectly. Mixing the old with the new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find. Your house looks so inviting and elegant. xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love it!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I would love to ahve a cart like that to use as a coffee table! Love the glass top too! You really scored on this one. Have a GREAT weekand, Artie! XO, pinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blue and white jars added to the mix. I am impressed. Great job with the whole make over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new look is just wonderful!

    Very edited and clean...love it!

    xoxo kelley

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow - it really, really looks great. the zebra makes the room. its the exact right pop. love the new table with glass. didn't notice that at first!!!

    ok -relax. its perfect! seriously. it doesn't need another thing, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've nailed it yet again. Everything looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete