Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Photoshoot - Plus Glimpses at the Tour to Come

Well, just 5 hours later, the photographer and his stylist/assistant left and I couldn't be happier with the way it all turned out. Here I thought the process for this home-town magazine wouldn't be nearly as exciting or dare I say, professional, as the shoots for Better Homes and Gardens publications - but boy, was I wrong!

They showed up, right on time, with a cart filled with multiple bags of camera equipment, most of which turned out to be additional light sources.

While they set up for the first shot of the foyer, Scott wooed them with tales of being a million dollar real estate agent, before he left in the middle of the shoot to get back to work. The camera, a super awesome DSLR with multiple lenses has a port and cable which hooks to the laptop so that the photographer can see what they're shooting on a large scale to point out any flaws or to help adjust lighting, etc..

They moved the bags from room to room, making sure they were completely out of view when the photo was taken. My tiny little house felt that much smaller with all those bags in here! Note to self: take guests luggage immediately to the guest room.

There were a few of these can-light-on-tripod jobs in different corners of the room to give the light necessary to take a proper photo of the staircase.
Isn't this cool? I love this program! Being able to immediately see what you've shot on the computer screen means you don't waste time uploading image after image after image, only to see that you have to run over and reshoot it. Don't get me wrong, there were multiple photos taken of each room until the right one was chosen, but doing it this way sure saved a lot of time!
The photographer and stylist would go over the photos to make sure that the light was accurate, and that the composure was just right for the picture, and then he'd take the first shot. That's when I was given the opportunity to see what they were photographing, and make suggestions for styling that might make the picture better.
Thanks to my best good friend Margaret, and her handy dandy Kirby that she let me borrow after Scott broke ours trying to suck up leaves in the front yard, the house was beautifully clean, so the only thing we had to worry about in the photographs were little tweeks, like the fan of the tassel attached to the key, and the greens in the flower arrangement. P.S.,  ... That's not how he broke the vacuum, but it sure could have been! (Doesn't he know that you can't always use a vacuum to do a broom's job?)  
They took 6 shots that could potentially make the magazine, most of them vignettes, but a few others, and a large room shot of the living room looking into the foyer and sunroom to convey the relationship of the rooms in the house.

I got very little sleep prepping for this, so I'm wiped out! I'm off to bed, but would love to wake up tomorrow morning with lots of comments on the shots you were able to sleuth off the screen!

23 comments:

  1. So excited...can't wait to see the link posted for the article!
    **Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that we have ever seen your staircase before - it's wonderful, as is your whole house. How thrilling for you to be able to see it in print. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen your staircase either - what a nice surprise! What an exciting time for you - looking forward to more "peeks" into your lovely home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is going to be a beautiful article. I love the vignette with the happiness ginger jar.
    Best...Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like they did a great job! Love the foyer with the staircase. I've never seen it before.

    Time to rest up...and then redecorate, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely home! All the natural wood is just gorgeous. How are you thinking about decorating for the holidays? Let's discuss it at my Facebook Q&A on November 9th. Please join me!

    https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=258236540880201

    ReplyDelete
  7. Artie, it looks great and I couldnt be happier! Congrats! Hard work ALWAYS PAYS OFF! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Artie, this must have been so much fun! I wouldn't have slept either! Rest up for the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Artie. How fun for you!! That must be so cool to see your house in professional photos. What a difference it must make, and make you proud, too! I would love the opportunity to see my house through a professional lense! Can't wait until you link to the published images.By the way, I've changed over from Sofas & Sage to my new blog (still a work in progress). Just wanted you to know who was commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for the article either -- it is interesting how they shoot, isn't it? Ages ago, a friend had her house done for a magazine and it was before computers -- they'd shoot with a polaroid to see if the shot was the way they wanted it and then they'd shoot with the real camera!

    Computers make things so much more simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is so beautiful, it does belong in a magazine. Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic.
    really.

    come and see my give-away

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Niiiice Mr. Art! I love watching how the photogs and stylists work with computers....and I DROOL over the cameras and lenses. If only......

    ReplyDelete
  14. o.m.g.... I can NOT wait to see the photos- they all look wonderful!!! So happy to hear it was a great day!
    Congratulations!!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray Artieben, mission accomplished and am glad all went well. Oh BTW I too cannot recall ever seeing your staircase.
    CONGRATS my friend. Well earned!!!! Hugs -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! The photos (edit version) look great and I know it will be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are my friends KC & Gail. I work with them often. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the outcome. Your home looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like it went really well and they got some great shots..

    it all looks so GOOD~!

    no email- write me again and I'll watch for it.

    I posted this on the other one you just listed..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Artie so excited for you...the shots look great. I can't wait to she them in print!

    You have such a beautiful home, you both should be very proud.


    MJ
    Lucky 7 Design

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, since I saw your latest post before this one, I have seen your fabulous sunroom and some of the vignettes. I love seeing your foyer and can't wait to see ALL of the house! And, BTW, will you ever share a pic of Scott????:):) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blog and this post is so exciting, lucky you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Artie,

    How exciting for you, congrats. Are you allowed to share what magazine it is?

    Love the home tour also. Hope everything is well with you.

    ReplyDelete