Wednesday, May 29, 2013

CDLV Garden Update


I was so happy to see that so many of you were kind enough to leave comments about the garden, and wanting to see the progress. From now until August, the garden changes almost daily, with things coming and going. For instance, the Wine and Roses Weigela just opened up under the River Clump Birch tree. It's a fun plant, almost like an Oleander, but non-toxic. The leaves are a dark green verging purple, and the flowers (which will open up soon) are a brilliant fuchsia.


The Dogwood Tree, which is filled with more blooms than ever before, sits in the corner of the round garden, between our house and the neighbors. When we moved into the house, it was in the front yard, and not doing well at all. I moved it back here, and it's gotten more and more beautiful each year.


One of the new additions to the garden this year was a climbing hydrangea. I thought $25 was such a great deal that I just couldn't pass it up. Already pretty established, and almost 5' tall, it found a home next to the garage on a new trellis. It's little pods are starting to open up now, and I can't wait to see how it looks when it bursts with blooms! 


I had to YouTube Knock-Out Roses to figure out what to do with mine, as they had gotten WAY out of control. They were nearly 4' tall, and 4' wide. Just a big thorny mess. Essentially, I followed this video, (loved his accent!!) which gave me permission to cut them almost all the way down, and now they're beautifully symmetrical and producing their first salmon colored roses of the season.


The allium, which is not the huge gladiator variety, just a simple little guy that grew wild in the backyard of our friend Karen's house. So I dug up enough to share about 5 years ago, and they've been beautiful each year ever since. They're at the end of their bloom period now, but I like to leave them up after all the purple plums are gone for the cool spherical shape.


And last, but not least, the wild Columbine. I remember when this first took root here in my yard, my gardening friend Geri was giving me some garden advice, and I said - I have to rip this out. She asked, "Why?" and I told her because it was wild! She then asked: "So you only buy your flowers!?" And I realized, these little beauties were a gift from mother nature, and I'm gonna keep them!

So that's the news from the garden this week ... hope you enjoy!!

16 comments:

  1. wow your flowers are so beautiful, I did not know there was such a thing as a climbing Hydrangia, I will have to have that, can you just imagine when it is established on that trellis, it will be breathtaking...thanks for inspiring me to go find one,...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phyllis! I didn't know that there was a climbing hydrangea either. Scott and I were antiquing one weekend, and found absolutely nothing. It was actually a pretty big let-down. So, instead of heading home we went by a nursery I never go to and there it was! $25 seemed like a deal so I snagged it! Can't wait to see it grow.

      Delete
  2. Artie, you are becoming a master gardener and photographer- both so beautiful! I never had any luck with climbing hydrangeas and the wild columbines- yes, leave them! If they like their location, they will randomly spread and create a very charming, natural look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mimi, you are TOO KIND! I'm honestly neither but have fun with both! I hope that my climbing hydrangea works out. It sure is pretty!

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are splendid. I love how cohesive the colors are. I can't keep columbine growing in our yard. I plant it.. it does well, then it gets hot, then it dies back never to return :(.... So glad to know I can cut the roses back. Need to do that soon!! Thanks for sharing. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlis! We are pretty lucky that almost everything we plant does well, especially with our harsh climate. I will cut those roses back each and every year now, I had no idea that it was so easy and they look so much better!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Artie. I think we need to find a place for a Weigela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pat, do it! You'll love it. Apparently there are many varieties, some with different colored flowers and foliage. I would plant another one if I could find the place for it! ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the dogwood, but it would not make it here with all the wind we've had recently. Everything looks so healthy.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! Let's keep our fingers crossed that they stay healthy! Planting that dogwood in the corner between the two houses was dumb luck, but it's really saved it through several storms!

      Delete
  6. How pretty, Artie. I also have a well established climbing hydrangea but in all the years it has never bloomed. If you have any advice it would be welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Peggy, I wish I could give you some advice. I bought it with some blooms already in place - but if I find out anything along the way, I will certainly let you know!! :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Artie I have a question for you and cannot find your email address. Please email me ....diannedballard@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The garden flowers look so beautiful. Added to the beauty is how well you photographed them. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just been inspired to garden! I love all the pictures you have of your flowers. I didn’t know what to do about roses either so I am glad that you addressed that. Twenty-five dollars is a great steal for an amazing plant.

    My Webblog: http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete