Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Changes ... They Are A'Coming

I've been working on a redo of my bedroom at the apartment for the last several days. It actually started as an early morning aggravation 2-weeks ago. I had been so frustrated with the four poster bed, and the lack of continuity between the bedroom and the rest of the apartment. In such a small space, there's really no need to have such varied and marked changes from room to room. I knew that one neutral palette throughout would make the rooms feel larger, and more cohesive. So, I set out with an idea to change the bed.

This is how you likely remember the bedroom, and granted, this is a pretty good photo. Due to the shadows, you miss the carpet completely. At first I thought I'd have my seamstress make new slipcovers for the bed in white, and it'd be good. But then I saw this picture:

I saw two glaring issues. First, the carpet. It was just eating the beauty of this room. Secondly, the bed. This room lacks architectural symmetry and that's something you really need in a small room that you want to put a four poster bed, or a canopy bed in. This bed can't be centered on any wall in the room, and the more I looked at it - the more I knew I had to find a new bed altogether.

And I wasn't about to deal with the frustrations of putting the bed online for sale. It's a fine bed, but frankly, I needed it gone right away to deal with the other issues. So, there it is. Well, was. (I think someone took this in less than an hour). Which left me with the other glaring issue. The carpet. Taking out the carpet meant LOTS of work. Mainly the removal of more than 300 interior design books and solid wood bookcases.

But I really had no choice. The books came out, along with the rest of the furniture, and I set in to work on the ugly carpet I should have replaced when I moved into the joint!

I dreaded pulling it up. I knew it needed to happen, but the living and dining room really took SO much effort that I just didn't want to have to go through all of that with the bedroom. Luckily though, I found a new flooring product, very similar to the living and dining room that went down like a dream!  I had it completed in less than 3 hours. Granted, I didn't start it until nearly midnight once I had pulled up the carpet, scraped and cleaned the floors, and cut all the planks.

Here's the 2AM selfie I sent to a friend who thought I was absolutely insane to be up so late on a THURSDAY with work the following day, putting in a floor. And yes - I'm insane. Initially I was sticking with the blue color story I had created for the room, so I ended up with this large gray blue rug.

Then, once I had the floors finished, I just hated it. I also knew that I really needed to focus on getting the room back to a wash of neutrals - like the living room and dining room, so the rug just wasn't going to work. The zebra I teased you with in this photo: 

Well, it is now in the bedroom, mostly hidden under the bed, but it provides a wild touch I sorta love. It will be layered over a large 9x12 seagrass rug that is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. The radiator that was covered by the dresser (now against the wall where the bookcases had been) will be covered. But that's all I'll tell you for now. There'll be a sneak peek of that space on instagram tomorrow and I'll share it here, too! 

Working on putting the space together has been tiresome, for sure. Most everything that I've wanted has been ordered, because it just wasn't available to me locally. I'm sitting on my hands here, just waiting for things to come through. When they all get here, and the custom sewing projects are finished (there are a few of those in the works) I will photograph everything and send it down the pike for you to enjoy. I promise!