Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Snow, Snow, and Snow

Photo by Emily Toycen via Unsplash

We knew that the winter weather wasn't going to be mild forever, didn't we? Those of us in the north east are now snow logged, some areas worse than others. It appears that all the snow we should have had over the last two months, we are getting now - all at once.

It is beautiful though. And there's a lovely silence. That happens when there is this much snow. Everything is quiet. It's peaceful, and if you don't have to go outside, it's a great time to catch up on projects lingering inside.

I'm still visualizing the bedroom and how it will look once it's finished. I thought today I would share some inspiration with you, join me? Grab your coffee, light your candle, and let's take a look!


By the way - here are all of my favorite candles. I actually have the Trapp Vanilla Orange burning right now, and it's heavenly. Sweet, fragrant, the gentle reminder that spring is coming. And onto inspiration:


Jeffrey Bilhuber

As you already know, I'm a huge fan of designer Jeffrey Bilhuber and his work. He's had an incredible career spanning 30-years, creating beautiful rooms and vignettes with unwavering character and mass appeal. 

This is a corner of a library in a NYC townhouse featured in Architectural Digest, and his book: THE WAY HOME. 


I love the pattern pairing, and the green mixed with the electric blues, reds, and yellows of the ikat. Did you know that Amazon has an entire section of handmade goods? I honestly just realized this a few minutes ago! I was writing this story and the photo inspired me to look for ikat pillows, and boom:


Handmade, including piping and the pillow form for $109. That's cheaper than my workroom, by far! 


This print is fun, too! Birds, pineapples, palm leaves - it's a party in a pillow! 

I also love that tribal mask from the photo above. Displaying these is always so interesting. In fact, there is a mirror made by Matthias Vriens-McGrath that Nate Berkus and Jeremiah Brent have in their Los Angeles home: 


I have long loved this mirror, and the whole idea of it makes me smile. Definitely inspired. For more inspiration from Nate, check out his books: 



Phoebe Howard 

Of course, this is an inspiration. As you already know, this is the fabric that I've used for the walls in the bedroom. Every day I am more and more drawn to it, which is a good thing since it's a big feature! And I waffle back and forth on whether to do a green and white room, and call it a day, or to take a cue from Jeffrey and throw some color in there?


I'm having a REALLY hard time finding storage that is attractive. Right now I have two antique dressers; they don't look good together and neither of them is large enough for Tyler and I to use together. Finding something large that is also attractive is NOT easy, and also not inexpensive - and we need the storage. I've been seriously considering a built in option. 

Mark D. Sikes

I'm also a huge fan of Mark D. Sikes, which you also all know. Before his remodel, his bedroom had built in closets with a window seat spanning the difference. The doors were mirrored to let in more light. I love this idea.  I could build in closets on either side of the window and hide utilitarian dressers inside (no matter how ugly) and still have a hanging rod above the dresser for even more clothing storage space! 


After the renovation, the window seat was gone, allowing for drawers and more closets after a change to the window placement. The more I see it, the more I like it. You can get more inspiration from Mark in his book: BEAUTIFUL.


And if you love his house as much as I do, it was featured beautifully in the book: CITY OF ANGELS. 



Alright, so you know from the other day I'm looking for sconces, you know from today that I am thinking very seriously about built ins! What else? 

My Dining Room Currently

IF I decide to built ins along the window wall in the bedroom, it leaves the opportunity for me to move this settee into the bedroom under the television. I could then use the low antique dresser in the dining room for much needed storage.

I love the way that this settee mimics the arch of the bed, and it only makes sense to use it since we have it. I might have the pillows and cushions redone in a different fabric though. Perhaps the same as the wall?

Phoebe Howard

It does make for beautiful upholstery. So many ideas! Of course I have a zillion more, but for now, I'm going to make lunch and get back to work on the stapling and sawing! Hope you all have a great day! 

1 comment:

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete