Thursday, August 30, 2018

You Could Be Mark D. Sikes' Neighbor


Most of us have one neighbor we can rely on in a pinch, right? You run out of sugar, or milk, or need to borrow a lawn mower - they're usually readily available to help out in times of need and you do your best to do the same. Well, imagine being able to pop in for some interior design advice! You might be able to (I doubt it, but who knows) if you bought this Hollywood Hills rambler next door to designer Mark D. Sikes.

This drone view overlooking the lawn of the home shows Mark's own garden and superbly trimmed ficus walls on the right. This street, like many in the Hollywood Hills, has houses practically stacked on top of one another. So, knocking on the door for a cup of sugar isn't really all that much effort. You also never really know who you're going to find answering the door. A sleeve long list of  celebrities live on the street.


From the real estate listing. This is actually the front of the house. Now, not long ago, the house actually switched owners. I was able to find pictures from the first listing, and I thought it'd be fun to compare a few.
Before the current owner (an executive with Warner Brothers) bought it, the previous couple had hired a decorator and had the entire house finished off in a blend of pretty neutrals. I might add that this house had fallen into some serious disrepair, landing in the hands of the bank in the late 90's as a part of a foreclosure. The owners since have done a remarkable job of putting the pieces back together.


After (Currently), the walls in the dining room are papered, custom drapery on the walls to match.
Before, the living room again a blend of neutrals, the seemingly quintessential white sofa necessary for true California living.


And today. Much more colorful, and filled with personality.


I love the fireplace change, brilliant. The color palette is interesting, but it works. I love that pop of orange on the Bergere chairs against the beautiful olive velvet on the sofa.
Before, the attached library niche had all of the bookcases painted black.


Today, though I wonder why there is no furniture here, I love the new grasscloth wallpaper and that bank of bookcases painted out in a celedon/gray green.


The current kitchen. Not much really changed here, and it's still serviceable and well appointed.
Before, a modern fixture over the stairs and a windowseat with a mass of pillows. A nice welcome to such a large landing.


Today, still there, but covered in the same block print inspired floral that was used in the dining room.

Before, the master bedroom. A little cold and empty feeling I think.


Today. The roman shades hide the arched windows, but this is the same room. Perhaps the furniture layout is a bit better, but it needs work, don't you think?

You can check out the listing, here. You can see more before photos of the house, here. It'll only set you back $3.75M, or you can shell out $17,500 a month to rent the place! If you do - give me a call, I'll come visit for a weekend.

By the way, and if you can't get some free design tips from Mark, you might be able to get some free acting tips from Jennifer Morrison (Dr. Cameron on House). She lives just a house over, in the home that once belonged to Dave DeMattei and Patrick Wade, who got Mark his foot in the door with House Beautiful back in 2014. Their new home was recently featured in House Beautiful, and I'm working on a post now that catalogs their many homes after hitting pay dirt while researching this one. That's forthcoming - as is the long weekend. So, enjoy! Finish out Summer with a bang! I'll meet you in September!

Muah!

9 comments:

  1. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. pobyty v prahe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maine will be having a sizzling dried up, next to drought summertime. Probably none of the photographs seemed to be taken a lot less than 6 days in the past.hotel viareggio vicino piazza mazzini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your content has shown your effort and encounter you have got in this area.location voiture agadir aéroport

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kind of writing grudge is typically minus a suspicion fabulous. My husband furthermore i started away the literal look, liked what right My husband also i obligatory in summation I had quantity separate of patience along no training! That is asst seen viscous pilot monument My husband also i watch professional consequently drastically! Belief an appropriate pertaining to expressing this up-to-rendezvous persons.mommy makeover dallas

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all the doggone snow we have had as of late I am stuck indoors, fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do hmm nyc info Panama Real Estate Sales, Rentals, Property Management and Office Space

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your views about the concept which you know much better. Its easy to read and understand by the way you wrote the blog contents. friv 2020 || kizi Games online || abcya4 games online

    ReplyDelete
  7. very detailed and informative article know more Ludo Star

    ReplyDelete