Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bathroom Update

The bathroom is on hiatus, atleast until I can find an alternative to the shower surround unit Scott had chosen. You see, after purchasing the base, I found it to be very thin. It was almost too thin, and absolutely too thin to be comfortable installing on the second floor of our house. After all - the whole purpose of putting in a new shower was to cure the problem from before ... installing an inferior product would only make things worse eventually.

So, we (my brother and I) are returning the shower base tonight, and hopefully this weekend I'll find the place where the previous owner purchased the one that was there before. Now, there is nothing wrong with the previous shower floor, the problem was in the shower door surround which travelled off into never-never land with the tile. So there is a possibility of having the old shower floor resurfaced ... in any case, we've come to a grinding halt - one that I can't even begin to think about getting up and moving again until Saturday afternoon.

So perhaps there will be a tiled shower surround after all. What is that saying about budgets? Take what you think something will cost and multiply by three? Oh me, oh my!

7 comments:

  1. It's always like this Artie! Glad you have your brother there to help out.

    When my brother visits, we spend our time pulling bittersweet vines from trees around my property and drinking a few cold ones.

    Enjoy your time with him! I wish mine didn't live over 1,000 miles away.....
    G in CT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby and I have never started a project like this that something didn't go along with our plans!! You are smart to realize the problem with the new one now instead of later...Glad you are getting to spend time with your brother. Brothers are such a gift...I wish mine lived closer.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tellin' you Artie - look into a Silestone, Cambria, Zodiaq or Ceaserstone (they're all the same) shower surround. I think that is the way to go. With your tile you could choose a carrera marble style and it would look great. I think that grout is overrated. I live(d) with many tiled shower stalls and after a while it's not fun to clean them. I know that the mosiac glass tiles are in but yikes! I'm a realist. Silestone is embedded with microban - so it inhibits mold growth! If you insist on tiles you can get Silestone cut into any size tiles you want, too. I have an appointment next week Friday with a Silestone rep to measure my powder room vanity. I hope this project doesn't snowball.....Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oy...I have never met a project that doesn't have a PIA component! Could be a great change for th ebetter though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now that it's YOU, and not Scott picking the shower stuff, I do believe we'll be seeing tile in there!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know Artie I have been planning upgrades for my home for close to a year now. As a result have done much product research and will encourage you to consider using 'Quartz' (Ceasarstone, Silestone etc.) as well. (Ref: Robyn's comment) You just cannot beat it for durability, maintenance, repair,esthetics, price etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When our second floor shower started leaking all over my dining room below, I swore I'd never have a shower with a tile base again. Like you, I thought the prefab bases didn't feel substantial. My contractor originally a plumber) solved the problem by imbedding the base in concrete! Maybe that would work for you. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete