Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Artie? Bohemian? I think so!


Well, here she is, like I promised. I definitely think if you were to give a couch like this a human persona, you'd have to admit it's definitely a her! Check out the carved detail on the foot and all along the front. Those beautiful french rosettes are the base of a more sophisticated garland of acanthus. 


See what I mean about the color not quite being orange? It's more of a spice, somewhere between red and orange with a deep enough saturation to change depending on the light that bounces off of her. Beautiful button tufting along the back and sides, and a beautiful single down stuffed cushion with excellent wear.


Can you hear me clapping!?!? Oh how I love this sofa! It's a great size, too. It's only about 8" longer than my ikea ektorp place holder, but because the arms are so slender, the seating space easily accommodates 3, maybe 4.


And as I promised, a look at some of the other things that will definitely make it into the room. Blue and White Asian porcelains, antique Turkish kilims, goldenrod burlap, bleached antlers, antique aged brass tinging bronze, and varied shades of unfinished wood. Are you feeling it? I am!

Next, have you ever taken one of those "What's my Design Style" Quiz things? There are a ton of them out there, Better Homes and Garden's has a few (I came up Traditional) and (mostly vintage) HGTV has one, (I came up Romantic); StylishHome has one (I apparently resemble a Park Avenue Cocktail). 

I've always known that I leaned to the traditional side of design. To me, a traditional style gives a room a purpose, and a sophisticated and tailored feeling that most homes are built to accommodate. However, as I grow older, and find more and more on our travels and see more and more on blogs and in person, my range of design has broadened, as have my collections. I prefer to display more and more whether it's expected or just way out of the box. I tried that whole neutral thing - and I like it, but prefer color, and texture! Give me velvet and burlap and silk any day! The more patina the better - throwing it out? Give me a call - I might take it! 

So what does that mean? Well I didn't know, that was until I found these old photos of the Ralph Lauren Home New Bohemian collection:






I mean - I could move RIGHT IN!Collected, colorful, textural and rich! Call me Sold! Now - enough about all of that! Did you watch Design Star last night!?!? I have my fave ... do you?

11 comments:

  1. Artie I am so excited for you! This is the most stunning sofa I have seen in a long, long time!! It is just perfection!!

    I like a collected, yet fairly traditional look, so my home is fairly eclectic.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome! I think it's a perfect choice for your house and will look great with all those great textiles you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely! Hurry up and decorate so you can share it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artie.. this is a most fabulous piece. I too love this piece. You have the best eye for gorgeous.. I can hardly wait to see the room.
    Yes I watched design star.. and yes I have my favorite already.. oooh.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a sofa similar in color... you said spice... mine was Paprika. Not orange and not red. Beautiful... now you're cooking.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE a "collected over time" look in a home. I love my collections and it is PAINFUL to remove them all to "stage" the house for sale. UGH!!!! Love your "new" sofa. Can't wait to see the room. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sofa is stunning and the colour is just wonderful! Sounds like you are in a "more is more" phase and there is nothing wrong with that - you are a styling artist so you can pull it off! :)
    Terri xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great piece! the style you have described is so much more your true self and your home than the white slipcovers/seagrass/Belgian-Houston/neutral look you had gravitated toward recently. Looking forward to seeing how you put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sofa, brilliant! I need to see all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Artie I'm in love with your sofa and the Bohemian look. Kathy

    ReplyDelete