Thursday, December 1, 2016

Blue and White Chinoiserie Jars for Cheap!

Every year around this time I start getting asked the same question I'm sure you all do too: "What do you want for Christmas?" I typically say "don't buy me anything" and end up with wine, but this year when I asked myself the same question, I had three answers:

1. More Blue and White Porcelain
2. An Hermes Avalon Throw Blanket
3. A 50" Smart TV For the Chinese Wedding Cabinet

It's a good list, right? I've been good, and since I'm my own Santa, I figured I'd spoil myself a little. However, when I started shopping for pieces online, I was scratching my head wondering what the hell happened.

You see, a short 4-years ago, I ordered the three piece Happiness Pot set from Wisteria for a client:

discount price ginger jars, blue and white porcelain, asian porcelain, chinese porcelain, clearance price blue and white jars,

The set of three was just $239, plus tax and shipping. I get that it was 4-years ago, and prices rise, but the same set of jars is a whopping $469 plus tax and shipping today! What made the price double? You can buy the jars individually, as well. Months after I ordered the set of 3 for one client, I ordered two of the tall jars for another client. They were a reasonable $99/each. The very same jar is now a headscratching $249. They used to sell the set of three for less than that! 

So I started looking for another source, when I came across the very same pots from a major online retailer for SUBSTANTIALLY less money.


A $90 difference in price? For the SAME jar? And these aren't special prices from Frontgate, this is their everyday price! In fact, you can get the jar for cheaper than $159 right now, because they're offering 25% off the entire site! What gives?

If you're lucky enough to be able to shop wholesale for yourself with designer discounts, you could score the jar from Legend of Asia. But with the Frontgate promotion, it's even less - $119.25, and shipping is more reasonable!

A $70 difference in price for the small jars? This one looks to be slightly different in pattern and the lid Foo Dog is less shapely, but still - $70?

With the Frontgate promotion, you're saving more than $25 on the wholesale price! Frontgate has some interesting pieces in their blue and white collection, too. Including this vase:

discount price ginger jars, blue and white porcelain, asian porcelain, chinese porcelain, clearance price blue and white jars,

Love this, and just $159! A lot of these patterns are pretty recognizable, and if you have a collection like I do, finding new pieces with different patterns isn't always easy! However, I did find some really pretty and very interesting pieces on Amazon, which are larger, more unique, and cheaper than the Wisteria options, too!

discount price ginger jars, blue and white porcelain, asian porcelain, chinese porcelain, clearance price blue and white jars,

I love this one with the unique leaf pattern at the bottom of the jar! 19" tall and just $199!


discount price ginger jars, blue and white porcelain, asian porcelain, chinese porcelain, clearance price blue and white jars,

Look at how cool this one is! With foo dogs painted on it ,and a beautiful wood stand! 19" tall on this one, too and a SUPER reasonable $169!



cheap blue and white jars, ginger jars, clearance price
I think that a pair of these would be great to fill in a collection of smaller scenic oriental jars. They're a STEAL too! Just $46.78 each, and nearly 19" tall! 


So there are a few options for you, if you're looking for blue and white Chinese jars that won't break the bank! I've already ordered a couple for myself! Don't pay more when you don't have to! 

13 comments:

  1. The price increase is shocking!!!! Thanks for sharing the pieces you found on Amazon.....the prices are great.
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? Wisteria is probably paying 1/4 of what they're charging now. I understand that demand drives price - but it just seems excessive!

      Delete
  2. Stop it I just bought a sofa. Santa is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachael - I get it! Trust me! I've been walking through my apartment putting bows on things, so I can remember that I've got plenty of gifts - I don't need to shop anymore! It hasn't stopped me yet, though! :)

      Delete
  3. I bought the same two tall lidded jars from Wisteria four years ago. It was a great deal because their list price was $99 each but they were having a sale and I paid $79 each. The price increases can only be explained by the current, enormous popularity of blue and white. Maybe everyone should just wait for end of year sales. I hope you get everything you really want from "Santa."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them during the same sale for my clients Victoria! That was a real value! But even with a 20% off sale now, they're still right at $200! Just crazy, especially when you can get the same jar from frontgate for a little more than $100, and the more interesting patterns from Amazon for less than that, too!

      Delete
  4. I loved Wisteria years ago for their unique items. They used to have interesting vintage pieces, as well. Recently discovered that almost all of their items have greatly increased in price. It definitely pays to shop around where similar items can be bought for way less. Love your selection of blue and white options- I am heading over to Amazon to do a little Christmas shopping for myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what happened to their flea/vintage stuff? I agree, with the popularity of their site, not only have their prices gone up, the quality and quantity of interesting items has gone down. Such a shame, but it seems to be the par for the course. Hope you find some great stuff at Amazon!! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. One King's Lane has some good looking blue and white jars for under $50. Trying to avoid temptation myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren I agree! Have you noticed how delayed the shipping is for OKL though? I mean, the last thing that I ordered from them took almost 2-months to get here! Good deals though, if you're willing to be patient.

      Delete
    2. I haven't experienced that with OKL, but have only purchased a few items after I moved last year and went through a major reno. Two months seems excessive (and when you want it, you WANT it!). Cherish is another option--have you tried it?

      Delete
  6. As you know I'm a purist and only have antiques, but d.am.n. some of these reproductions are so authentic looking that I'm glad I'm not trying to figure out what is antique and what is new. What is the weight on the new ones? Are they light or heavy??

    ReplyDelete