Friday, November 30, 2018

Book Review: Family of Hummingbirds - The Complete Prints of John Gould



When I was a wee tot, I remember visiting my grandmother a few times every summer. She lived in East Texas, only a few hours away, but my parents rarely made the drive to see her at any other time during the year. We'd sit on her long painted porch, a minty green, with old white wooden rocking chairs and two mint green wicker settees with pink and white stripe cushions and watch hummingbirds fly up to the four hummingbird feeders she had hanging from the trees that swallowed her postage stamp sized front yard.

My grandmother loved hummingbirds. She made it a part of her daily routine to change the sugar water she filled her feeders with every morning before breakfast. Then she'd sit all day long on her porch, iced tea in hand, reading and gleefully keeping watch on the tiny little birds she had made sure were well fed.

If she were alive today, she would love this book. A sublime collection of 418 suberbly detailed hand-colored lithographs created by John Gould from the mid-1800s. They are lovely, take a look:








Beautiful, right? Flipping page after page of this beautiful book, my eyes swelled with tears thinking about those hot summer mornings in East Texas, on the porch with my grandmother, watching the hummingbirds.

If you're a fan of natural history art, hummingbirds, or birds in general - this unrivaled master collection of antique prints is definitely a piece you'd want to add to your collection. Take a closer look, and buy your copy via the Amazon link below:


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TESTED POSITIVE FOR HSV-2 A FEW MONTHS AGO.

    At first, Yes, I was devastated thinking I have an incurable STD for life. After doing hours of research I quickly realized genital herpes is a filthy parasite that just likes to hide in your body. Yes, There’s no “medical cure” but that doesn’t mean your body can’t get rid of it. I literally flush it out of my system with the help of Doctor Azuka, A natural herbal medicine which I ordered after doing some research. And now I’m HSV-2 negative, I never believed it until my doctor finally gave me the test results and behold I was HSV-2 free. I’m so glad that I found you, Doctor Azuka. Thanks so much for your goodness I’m grateful. You can also get your help from him through his email } dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to extend my gratitude and utmost appreciation to Geo Coordinates Hacker security company for helping me recover my money back of $285,000, worth of stolen cryptocurrency, at first I felt reluctant to give it a trial and also hopeless but eventually I’m very excited to speak about Geo Coordinates Hacker security company, this cyber security company was able to assist me in recovering my stolen digital funds and cryptocurrency. I’m truly amazed by their excellent service and professional work. I never thought I could get back my funds until I approached them with my problems and provided all the necessary information. It took them 72 hours to recover my funds and I was amazed. Without any doubt, I would highly recommend Geo Coordinates Hacker company for all your cryptocurrency recovery, digital funds recovery, hacking, and cybersecurity-related issues. Without a doubt, they are the best and I am very grateful to them for helping me recover my money. In case you have the same issues related to mine do not hesitate to reach out to them through their email Contact; geocoordinateshacker@proton.me.

    ReplyDelete